I found out a month or so ago I had jury duty, and was I worried. I had never done it before and to be honest did not want to. I was scheduled for 3 full days! Monday- Wednesday.
Monday rolled around and after having a fund raiser garage sale over the weekend and sleeping over with the WHOLE family at some friends house in a tent (that was unsuccessful because of the rain) I started making lunch for my family when Shannon shouted, "YOU HAVE JURY DUTY" Needless to say I freaked! I got so upset thinking they would come and take me to jail, since on the top of my paper it says if you fail to come or come with children you could be! I called right away and I talked to a woman that took her job serious! She told me that someone might just come and get me and that I better come in Tuesday! Well I was crying and thinking we were going to have to pay all this money and I would be sitting in a jail cell, I went up to the court. Which my friend Amy had to come and pick me up cause I was to upset to even drive. I got sent upstairs and down and to what I called the principles office. I felt like the worst citizen ever! I asked the security man if I was going to jail and he just smiled. He laughed at me when I was being sent all over. I sat and sweat it out until the chief officer came and asked me why I missed for the day. I told him I had no good reason, I just simply forgot. He warned me that I might have to tell the judge why I missed and said be here tomorrow. As I left the security man said so your not going to jail today huh? I still was not able to laugh.
Tuesday morning came and I was up and around and to the court house well before I was suppose to be. I sat in the jury room and the same cop came in and called role. He called me out and gave me a nod and a wink, which made me feel a little better.
Then the moment came and they called us into the court room and told us a little about the case and the same police officer put all our names in a hat to see who the jury would be and yes, I was called FIRST! The thought crossed my mind that he didn't really call my name he just said it to punish me! So I went to my purple seat and the attorneys started asking their questions. For some reason this woman choose me to pick on. She was giving me all this lawyer language and speaking in circles. I was loosing focus and kept trying to pay attention since there were so many people staring at me for my response, but the only thing I could think about was her outfit! It was horrible. I kept telling myself pay attention, but I was so lost. She was asking me things I had no idea how to answer, and I would just say I have no idea what your saying and don't know how to answer you. She would then go on and on explaining the law and would loose me two words into it all. It was a nightmare.
After her brutal attack the opposing side took a bite at me too. And let me tell ya that Lawyer was sweating so bad that is ALL I could think about. I never have seen someone sweat like that before just standing still! The judge finally called them both up to his bench and probably told them to leave poor little me alone and move on since she has no idea what is going on here. Cause after that they didn't say anything to me. Needless to say I was the only one rejected and got sent back to the jury room.
After they choose the jury everyone else came back and were all laughing and carrying on ABOUT ME! One man said, "that was the best comedy I have seen, you were great." Others told me it was hilarious how I just told them I had no idea what they were saying. YEA real funny I thought. So after everyone got their laughs they sent us home for lunch and we had to come back. I tell ya I prayed so hard they would not have another jury needed and they ended up holding us after lunch for a couple hours and letting us go, so I was releaved.
Today, after not getting much sleep due to my encounter with the court room attack, I was so nervous to go back in case I would have to relive the experience.
But I went and sat for 3 hours and finally got sent home! I was so ecstatic I almost just went up and hugged the police officer!
I hope never to be called again. If I do I will have to take the lawyers advise and watch an episode of Law and Order.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
OK, I've been meaning to comment on this post forever! I keep re-reading it... I laugh every time :)
Post a Comment