12 years ago today I got a call saying that my friend Anne was in a car accident. I thought that there was no possible way that anything could happen to her, but when I heard the phone ring for the second time I felt my heart plummet. My friend Wendy was on the line crying and no words came, her dad got on and told me, "Anne is dead.... I am sorry." I fell to the floor dropping the phone and screaming, "NO!"
I felt sick. I felt despair. I felt empty and angry.
I remember my mom was gone so it was just my dad and I at home. He held me as I fought to get away and then I collapsed into his arms. I fell to the floor and he just held me saying words I can not remember, but that gave me some comfort. I felt like I needed to just get away, to run away from the pain that I felt, but where? I went outside yelling at God, screaming in sorrow, and falling before God with questions that still go unanswered today.
My life was changed. A dear friend was gone forever.
Today I mourn her loss and still find tears of sorrow as I write and tell of the story. But as a parent my sorrow is not for my loss of a friend that is gone but the loss of a child to Steve and Betty, her parents.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment